Thursday, May 17, 2012

Up in the air

Decisions, decisions, decisions. . . nothing of the dire, Hunger Games sort, but still life altering, nonetheless.  I'm typing away on a flight to Atlanta, with an eventual destination of Hershey, PA.  Yes, like the chocolate.  I'll be interviewing as a finalist for an administrative arts position at the Milton Hershey school. Their mission is really attractive.  1900 kids, living in poverty, raised up by the foresight of someone who wasn't afraid to give back.  Of course, he only wanted to help poor white boys at the time, but with a few strategic changes to the school's mission, it has become a pretty inclusive place.  I love the concept of a private school environment with a real, mission to help people.
For those of you unfamiliar with the private school world, it's pretty great, but there is a bit of residual guilt associated with the fact that your client base is primarily affluent.  It comes with pros and cons.  Pro- I never, ever have to sell candy for fund-raisers, con- less wealthy students don't necessarily get to do all the 'extra' things, like trips and travel.  Pro-  I can hire a full-orchestra to mount productions of choral/orchestral masterpieces, con- well, I guess there isn't one, but the knowledge that my energy could be used to help kids who would otherwise not have much of a chance, is alluring.
Time will tell. It might be a perfect fit, or it might be a collosal waste of time, but I am open.  I am breathing.  I will try to stay present.

No comments: