Thursday, May 17, 2012

Young

Over the course of the past week, the idea of age seems to be a common theme rattling about my universe.  In the Aspiring Heads Program--how old is old enough?  When thinking about the first headship--do I need to look older?
Both questions will ultimately be answered by search committees and their inherent cultural and regional biases, but the deeper question remains. 
Trust experience, would be my answer.  Serving on so many hiring committees this past year has been enlightening.  I come face to face with the absolutely groomed resume, only to find an inexperienced, slightly scared applicant chatting with me over coffee.  I've seen resumes, that on first blush, would be serviceable as garden mulch, but then find myself face to face with someone who just 'gets' it. Unfortunately, due to our school culture, they aren't employable, but hopefully, that's changing.
I have to buckle down and do--what I'm, ironically, really good at doing, and hate more than anything--spin.  I have experience, but I've got to show a prospective board how it translates into a more advantageous quality that Mr. or Mrs. X, who's been twiddling their thumbs, innovating nothing, yet sticking around because they're innocuous. The places are there.  I can find them.  I will find them.

No comments: